Steeped in history, the building which homes the Sir Garnet has watched over Norwich Market for centuries.
It began trading as a public house c1861 having previously been occupied as a butchers; the 'Baron of Beef'.
Prior to this, it is thought that parts of the building acted as a Medieval Meeting Hall.
In 1874 it adopted the name Sir Garnet Wolseley after Field Marshal Garnet Joseph Wolseley, 1st Viscount Wolseley who in the same year had received accolades for what was considered a brilliantly executed campaign in Africa. His reputation for efficiency led to the late 19th-century English phrase "everything's All Sir Garnet", meaning "all is in order", a feeling of positivity which we hope will continue to guide the pub in to the future.
In the 20th century the pub extended in size when it took over 37, Market Place. Which had previously traded as the Punch Bowl.
We have been fortunate enough to start a collection of images of the pub throughout the years and are always on the lookout for more. We hope you will enjoy the selection featured here: